FROM NORTH TO SOUTH
From one independant culture in Basque Country in the north east to another, Catalania, in the south east. I travelled via day train with Fi only. Matt had also decided to come, but left it one day later to book the train (when we were in San Sebastian Donostia) and found it booked out.
So he had to wait around all day in Donostia and leave the following night.
I was really amazed at how dry the interior was. I can now see why all those great spagetti westerns were filmed here.
The view from our hostel featuring Jean Nouvel's Torre Àgbar.
The dream lives on - Fi and i continued to enjoy great food. oh the jamon was to die for!! After having a childhood almost without pig products I think I have been converted. (My friends will be so proud that I now understand - Bucky, Matt P)

Finally Matt arrived late the following afternoon after a torrential downpour ended a cycle tour that Fi and I were on. Bicycle tour was a great way to get a quick snapshot of what was and has gone on in Barcelona. Our guide offered to resume the following day which suited us fine. Fi and I took the opportunity to duck into the Info centre and have a flick through a coffee table Photograph book of Barcelona, and identified our sights to see.

Finally Matt arrived late the following afternoon after a torrential downpour ended a cycle tour that Fi and I were on. Bicycle tour was a great way to get a quick snapshot of what was and has gone on in Barcelona. Our guide offered to resume the following day which suited us fine. Fi and I took the opportunity to duck into the Info centre and have a flick through a coffee table Photograph book of Barcelona, and identified our sights to see.
I decided that with a massive city and only one week for me (Fi only 2 days) my prioritys were as follows;
1: As a City famous for Art, Design, Architecture, Landscape: Works of Gaudi (Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia)
2: La Merce Festival - The fortnight long city wide festival with music, art, shows, etc.. at plenty of free public events for us to get amongst
3: Continue the food and drink experience.
So after Matt had dried off and he had cooled down we explained that there were three different train systems in Barcelona, which can cause confusion, and that we understood how he could have caught the train on the red line rather than the metro red line, and therefore found himself walking in the downpour for a few kilometers along the avinguda meridiana to get back to the hostel.
CHAPEL SAGRADA FAMILIA
While it was wet we decided it was a perfect time to see the seemingly never ending construction process which is the chapel sagrada familia. Yes completing Gaudi's vision its been going on since 1909.
As many have seen the Chapel I'm not going to post any external pictures, as these are plentiful. You can google it if required. What we found most interesting was Gaudi's vision, his interest in drawing upon the forms of God (Nature) and the construction methods being employed to realise the project. I recall seeing a doco on TV about a lab in melbourne generting and testing forms and structures in 3D model, which were then issued to the contractors to form up. Matt and I were still unsure whether they were cintinuing to use stone or if much of the new structure is in re-constituted stone (ie concrete) which could be formed to the required complex geometries more efficiently.
Tree Canopy
Amusement at this place being equal parts chapel, curio, construction site, tourist zig zag line ups, and vending machines to serve those on the wait.
We thought it was well worth the line up and paying for the lift up the bell towers - and it was. Great views, we watched the construction workers climbing in their harnesses far above the city, and got great views back at the chapel.
There was a great museum/gallery set up in one of the foyers (for lack of the church architecture term) which had models, plant specimen, and panels explaining Gaudi's studies of the forms found in nature, their mathematical geometries and then how these have been employed Gaudi's work at the Sagrada Familia, and elsewhere.
Model demonstrating straight lines pivoting on axis, with wavy lines(supporting walls) running parallel to create a leaf like roof structure.
The fantastic roof structure at the Mercat Santa Catarina by Architects Enric Miralles and Benedetta Tagliabue is surely influenced by this work. I loved it, just a pity it was best viewed from above. We never saw it as it looks on the websites photo gallerys or in the books! Still, the colours of the the roof tiles are wonderful. apparently the artist responsible says the design is drawn from, and should relate to the fruit and vegetables of the market.
I must say, when Matt and I sat sat in the pedestrianised Avinguda de la Catedral and could see the canopy jutting out from the facade line of the other buildings, and being caught in the sunlight, you coul see how this is an abstraction or blow up of the colourful fruit and veg stand which always catch my eye in predominant grey of the city.
WANDERING THE OLD TOWN
We did this a alot. It was tiring, but exciting and interesting. And Matt and I were on a mission to find the best elado in town. "qiero elado metos?"
Matt and I were both impressed with this guy and his mobile knife sharpening business. He uses his scooter to drive the sharpening stone.
This was a plastic bag sculpture we came across when walking to the old town with Matt.
I rarely get one over on Matt, and as such i feel the need to celebrate the occasion. I managed to convince him to use this ATM rather than the one across the way as this one was the popular bank (Banco Popular) - ha! You will note Fi sharing the gag.
We quickly discovered that the end of summer festival La Merce was taking place across the week we were in town, and quickly marked our diarys with the free public events. The wikepedia summary of the event is pretty accurate of our experience. While we saw it we did not get to experience the wine fair, as we were on a mission for Paella. In retrospect the wine fair would probably have been as good, as the Paella was fair. (admittidly we were eating at the budget end)
This audio visual montage on the toen hall was spectacular:
Firstly the facade was traced. This gave us a great feel for the power of the medium.
Once fully traced, the image began to ripple with drops of water, the remainder of the show riffed on this game of the building being part of the imagery, and then it simply being the canvas.
here the building columns become meters on a mixer
Fela Kuti and Egypt 80 - Live at La Merce. Kelly and I caught them at Love Box in london, and when i saw them listed here i said "Matt we must go to this." So after a great evening in kitch tex mex restaurant / bar Rosa Negra where we enjoyed Mules, Mojitos and Caiparinhas we headed over to the stage at Avinguda de la Catedral - one of a dozen in public spaces all over town each showcasing different music styles.
My brother Matt bailed after Fela Kuti & Egypt 80 so I pressed on alone to a big dance party at the Forum (I suspect a Multi purpose outdoor event/convention centre space) .
The Dub step stage under a multi purpose canopy - probably used for markets at other times. I walked home from here as there were thousands all competing for buses and trams. What was most amusing though, was all the kids on scooters and motorcycles all racing off from each set of lights as i walked back along avinguda diagonal stopping for a peek at Parc Central del Poble Nou (but it was locked so i did not get to go in - probably would not have anyhow at 2am or 3am) to Glories /Clot area of our Hostel.
THE PARADE OF GIANTS (LA MERCE)
(known as gegants i capgrossos in Catalan or gigantes y cabezudos in Spanish).
There was a parade to the Plaça de Sant Jaume, 1 then a 'ball' featuring the giants dancing, in couples. Hilarious. Mostly twirling, as they are static paper mache creations.
Check out the old man in the background. He was a not so giant giant. We found him a little SCARY! In guess who kinda way.
These animals were so happy. I liked the bull. The donkey was heavily influenced by Shrek.
The Castellers!
These human castle builders came in teams from clubs of the various regions of Barcelona. They formed up and then moved through the square, with the tiny kids on top, in head gear, waving to the crowd to demonstrate their accomplishment of ther skills. Wow.
These human castle builders came in teams from clubs of the various regions of Barcelona. They formed up and then moved through the square, with the tiny kids on top, in head gear, waving to the crowd to demonstrate their accomplishment of ther skills. Wow.
Then there was more. Some of us would have left shortly after the above photos were taken, but i said "NO. lets just wait nd see what will happen, there is an air of expectation" - or something to that effect. And then this...
PARC GUELL
Matt and I were joined by two ladies from our hostel. Funny part is that Lou from melbourne was going to the Caufield Cup which was to be Matts birthday party, but he was not going to make it due to pushing his flight back to travel with me some more! It was great that his mates still went though. Even better when they sent him texts thanking him for his invitation, and telling him how much of a great time they were having.

I was missing kelly but i did not see the need to inscribe it in the gravel. Someone else did though...

I was missing kelly but i did not see the need to inscribe it in the gravel. Someone else did though...
We saw this mid construction appartment building which had just been painted on the way to Parc Guell. I was not sure if this was guerilla paintball art, or intended design, but i like it.
The once popular folk Catalan folk dance Sardana. It was evident that the dance may be in decline, as the average age of participants was older rather than younger. Still great to watch. It is danced in big circles as you can see, with arms mostly raised and much of the dance in what seemed like simple footwork.

On our last night Matt and I headed over to Placa de Espanya to the finale of La Merce - a synchronised fireworks, audio visual, and waterworks extravaganza (There is a fountain with articulated and variable jets), which included the Neighbours theme??? -bizarre
PARC DEL CLOT
On our last night Matt and I headed over to Placa de Espanya to the finale of La Merce - a synchronised fireworks, audio visual, and waterworks extravaganza (There is a fountain with articulated and variable jets), which included the Neighbours theme??? -bizarre
The show seemed to go on forever. I think we clocked it at over 45minutes - and it was big in scale. The amount of gunpowder they must have gone through!
PARC DEL CLOT
We did not fly out till the early arvo, so after realising that we were staying right near mekat del Clot and Parc del Clot I encouraged Matt to wander down and check it out. So we grabbed some fruit and salad rolls and wandered down to the park.
Generally it was pretty beat up, and worn. Matt and i got to enjoy a morning of park sport spectating. In fact we when i asked if they would mind me taking a photograph, I was offered a throw in the petanque. The raquet ball against the wall was very competitive.


No comments:
Post a Comment