Sunday, 3 August 2008

Oxford with the Smiths

I loved Oxford
It was a sweltering hot day (30 degrees!), but that meant clear skies and a beautiful evening. We met up with Richard and Kristina (Oxford is a good half way point for us from London and they from the Cotswolds). It's the kind of town that you imagined it would be.. So much history and beautiful buildings. I have always had a hidden desire to be an academic and I swear I would've been so much smarter if I had of attended a university like this .
Gargoyles, statues, amazing detail everywhere.. Buildings that have been around for a ridiculous amount of time and a great Jamie Oliver Restaurant (which we tried out).

Mum - maybe I would've stood more like a lady as well ;)
Oxford is not one big university campus but a series of colleges (depending on what you were studying). They seem to be always arranged around a square and a chapel and had stunning lawns.
This is a garden dedicated to the students who discovered penicillin. It looked so beautiful but they lock these gardens up early..
Down along the river and canals was a nice respite from the sun and beautiful and peaceful.

Punting
It looks oh so graceful and easy... and it's oh so not! Josh graciously volunteered to punt his lady down the river. It sounded romantic but we started off beside some raucous teenagers, hitting the sides of the canal, Josh running into the trees etc but he soon got the hang of it and gave me a delightful ride. I had to have a go as well (thinking I'd be a natural) but no, I was useless!
Don't look too closely at my feet (it ruins the romance - they're all muddy)

Josh navigating through the obstacles


Now he's got the hang of it. What a fine manly punter he is!!

This photo gives me way more credit than was due..

Bridge of Sighs from Venice replica

Yep. it was that hot!! bikes were melting and Josh was exposing chest again!!

Harry Potter scenes were filmed in the Christchurch college. You can see why. These grounds were also the inspiration for the Alice in Wonderland story (Alice was based on the Dean's daughter)

This is the pub where JR Tolkien and CS Lewis used to hang out for over 30yrs.. Imagine the discussions those two would've had!!

We had to have a beer there of course and Josh taught us how to play Jenga (the rest of us had never seen it). Good fun actually.

No comments: